Salads to me are something that I can eat every day and often as my entire meal. Relatively quick to put together, salads can take you in any direction and are only bound by your creativity. A few weeks back I taught a class at Compleat Cook on this very topic and I’m sharing 4 of my favorite salads with you here.
Roasted Corn & Spring Mix Salad w/Creamy Citrus Dressing & Manchego Cheese
For the corn:
Corn on the cob, trimmed 6 ears of corn
Olive oil 3 tbsp
Kosher salt pinch
Black pepper pinch
- Set oven to 375f
- Toss the trimmed corn with the olive oil, and a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Place onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper and roasted until corn begins to turn golden brown. Approximately 5-6 minutes.
For the creamy citrus dressing:
Mayonnaise 3tbsp (optional: substitute with Vegan mayo)
Grainy Dijon 1tsp
Fresh lime juice 30ml
Lemon juice 30ml
Kosher salt to taste
Black pepper to taste
- In a bowl, combine roasted corn with all the ingredients for the dressing.
- Toss together well and adjust seasoning as needed.
Manchego cheese, shredded
For the romesco vinaigrette:
Roasted red pepper
Pan roasted almond slivers
Red wine vinegar
Extra virgin olive oil
- Combine all ingredients, minus the oil, in a bowl and whisk well.
- While whisking, pour the oil in a slow and steady stream.
- Adjust seasoning as needed.
For the salad:
Cherry tomatoes, halved
Red Onion, julienned
Celery, thinly sliced on the bias
Green olives, sliced
Roasted red pepper, julienned
Kale, washed, trimmed & medium cut
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and toss together well.
- To serve, make a bed of kale and arrange remaining ingredients over it.
Iberian ham slices
Hard boiled eggs
Orange & Fennel Salad with Poached Lobster
For the lobster:
Lobster tails & claws, de-shelled
Whole lemons, halved
- Using kitchen shears, carefully cut the shells open to remove the lobster meat.
- With the water at a rolling boil, place the lobster meat in and cook until it turns color.
For the salad:
Fresh orange juice
Red wine vinegar (optional)
Fennel fronds, chopped
Cooked lobster meat, coarsely chopped
Combine all ingredients in a bowl and adjust seasoning as needed.
Kombucha & Hibiscus Berry Salad with Vanilla Whipped Cream
For the vanilla whipped cream:
Heavy cream ½ cup
Vanilla pods 3
Granulated sugar 2tsp
- Combine all ingredients in an electric mixer and whipped at high speed to hard peaks.
Strawberries, quartered 250g
Kombucha & hibiscus rose tea ¼ cup
Wild hibiscus flower syrup ¼ cup
Granulated sugar 1tbsp
Fresh mint, chiffonade